Monday, October 13, 2008

Joshua Tree

En route to Mountain Man's fieldwork in California, we stopped for a day of climbing at Joshua Tree National Park. Between the insane shapes of the Joshua Trees and the drama of the granite jutting into sky, it's an amazing landscape to experience.


It was also quite chilly in the evening and early morning, so I was glad to have finished my latest Storm Cloud Shawlette on the drive there. The colors of this yarn -- Fleece Artist Somoko in 'Olive' - seemed to particularly resonate with this landscape, and it will forever remind me of my visit to Joshua Tree.


I may take a break from knitting my shawlettes, but then again, maybe not. I like having a project on the needles that I don't have to think about (by now, the pattern is completely ingrained in my mind!), and I like that I can use sock yarn this way. Also, the shawl is a lovely thing to snuggle around my neck on a chilly morning ...

or to drape across my shoulders. I find that it's much easier to wear a half-circle shawl this way than any of my stoles or triangular shawls.

5 comments:

kathy b said...

It is sooooo pretty! Love the colors. Great job

Unknown said...

Lovely shawl. Lovely pics!

NatRed2 said...

I love this picture, but I have to say, you do look like your from an era gone by in it.

kvonmind said...

the verification word is "numshers." that seems like the perfect non-word to express my very positive feelings about these rich and evocative colors.

Unknown said...

I'm a friend of Carrie's and I knot, so she sent me the link to your blog:) Gorgeous photos and really inspiring projects!